You are here
Code editing on the Google Chrome Notebook (cr-48)
To get the same going on yours, you need to do the following:
- Get your cr-48 into developer mode
- Follow my fellow cr-48 hacker's instructions
- Create /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib directories
- Find yourself a nice Ubuntu machine, hopefully running 10.04
- On the Ubuntu machine, install "ne" (sudo apt-get install ne)
- type the following in a terminal: cd /usr/bin; ldd ne
- ldd will show you a list of dependencies for ne, not many
- On your cr-48, check your /lib directory to see which files from the ldd are already there
- Get a thumb drive, and copy your binary (/usr/bin/ne) and your library files mentioned above onto it from the Ubuntu machine
- Take the thumb drive to your cr-48, plug it in, open the shell (CTRL-t then type shell and HULK SMASH the Enter key)
- cd /media/ and type ls. Your thumb drive is probably whatever shows up, if you see one that has an "_" underscore, that is probably the right one, and you probably aren't unmounting your thumbdrive correctly :)
- Copy your files off of your thumb drive, binary "ne" file into /usr/local/bin, and library files (which is everything else) into /usr/local/lib
- Rejoice rejoice and there was much rejoicing!
A couple of things to keep in mind. When you do this, your cr-48 will probably stop auto-updating, according to the word on the street, and also, if you actually power down, you will probably need to run the last to remounts commands from the other cr-48 blog I linked above to be able to put any new binaries on your system.
I have tried a couple of other files, with mixed results:
- vim, vim.tiny - didn't work, library dependency issues, possibly because I was running 10.10 on my Ubuntu box.
- zip, unzip - worked! No problems at all, didn't need to copy dependencies either, not a one.
- irssi - didn't work, because I didn't port perl and it's dependencies, which seemed like it would possibly take longer than I wanted to spend tonight.
Have fun, keep hacking your awesome little cr-48's!